Chet Baker
Chet Baker - Young Chet (1995)

MP3 | 320kbps | Genre: Jazz

Cduniverse.com:
This 1995 release brings some Chet Baker rarities to CD for the first time while commemorating photographer William Claxton's eponymous book. Representing the jazz legend in his early years, the selections heard on YOUNG CHET are taken from two recording dates, the first in 1954, and the second two years later. Baker was 25 and 27 years old respectively. This reissue is testament to Chet Baker's innate talent for music, including his ability to play trumpet with great lyrical insight and conceptual maturity. Always dedicated to reviving obscure tunes, he breathes new life into Kai Winding's 1949 composition, "A Night on Bop Mountain," employing the talents of Bill Loughborough on a percussion instrument known alternatively as the chromatic tympani or boobams. Baker also performs a light and airy version of Miles Davis' 1951 blues, "Down." An especially lively piano solo from Bobby Timmons marks the latter, while the trumpeter himself plays with an unerring melodic shrewdness.

Truebluemusic.com:
When Chet Baker recorded his "Chet Baker Sings" album in 1954, the quartet recorded the music without the vocals which Chet later overdubbed. A few years later, Pacific Jazz used five of those tracks (#1-5 here) and overdubbed Bill Perkins and Jimmy Giuffre where the space for the vocals had been, creating some new Baker masters. Despite the artificial means, this works beautifully. Tracks 6-12 are more great material from the "Chet Baker And Crew" sessions with Phil Urso and Bobby Timmons, which did not fit on "Crew" CD.

Personnel:
Chet Baker (trumpet);
Bill Perkins, Phil Urso (tenor saxophone);
Jimmy Giuffre (clarinet);
Russ Freeman, Bobby Timmons (piano);
Jimmy Bond, Carson Smith (bass);
Bob Neel, Peter Littman (drums);
Bill Loughborough (chromatic tympani)

Recorded at Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, California on February 15, 1954 and The Forum Theatre, Los Angeles, California on July 24, 25 & 31, 1956.

Tracks:
1. Look For The Silver Lining
2. But Not For Me
3. Time After Time
4. My Funny Valentine
5. There Will Never Be Another You
6. Extra Mild
7. Night On Bop Mountain, A
8. Down
9. Taboo
10. I Can't Get Started
11. It's Only A Paper Moon
12. Autumn In New York
Downloads:rar (99456 KB)

Chet Baker - Grey December (1953)

MP3 | 192kbps | Genre: Jazz

Two stray Chet Baker 10" titles and a few associated alternate takes are gathered on this single disc. Grey December is one of the better CD reissues featuring Baker's early-'50s recordings on Pacific Jazz, the purveyors of West Coast Cool. The instrumental sides feature two septet sessions in December of 1953 and the vocal sextet session dates to February of 1955 — all three of which feature Baker and pianist Russ Freeman. Rather than present these sides chronologically, the four vocal tracks precede the decidedly lengthier 1953 instrumental sessions — a programming decision that works remarkably well. Enthusiasts of Baker's laid-back vocals should consider the February 1955 sessions as essential.

The combination of Bud Shank's ethereal flute work when married to Baker's muted vocals create an intense burst of melancholy. The uneven tempo and minor chord progressions featured on the title track as well as "I Wish I Knew" are irresistible in their appeal to fans of the enre. Baker's soft- toned trumpet solos match his vocals in spirit and passion. Even the hapless optimism of "Someone to Watch Over Me" is tinged in noir pathos. A much more traditional setting for Baker can be heard on the septet sides. Although the instinctual interaction between Baker and Freeman shines throughout, "Headline," "Moonlight Becomes You," and the up-tempo swinger "A Dandy Line" best exemplify everything positive about that musical relationship. The pair intertwine their melodies so closely and carefully it can be difficult to separate them. On the CD pressing, alternate takes of "Bockhanal," "A Dandy Line," "Little Old Lady," "Moonlight Becomes You," and "Goodbye" are also included.

Personnel:
Chet Baker, Trumpet and vocals
Russ Freeman, Piano
Herb Geller, Sax (Alto), Sax (Tenor)
Bob Gordon, Sax (Baritone)
Corky Hale, Harp
Shelly Manne, Drums
Red Mitchell, Bass
Joe Mondragon, Bass
Jack Montrose, Arranger, Sax (Tenor)
Bob Neel, Drums
Bud Shank, Flute